Technician Full-time Job5 days ago - Tech Support - Halifax - 2 views
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 19,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
Reporting to the Department Head, the Technician will work closely with faculty, staff, graduate students and undergraduate students to provide skilled precision work and technical support in teaching and research laboratories in the Department of Process Engineering & Applied Science.
- Create parts to build and modify teaching and research equipment using various shop machines and hand tools.
- Repair and maintain teaching and research lab equipment. Lab equipment consists of hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical and electronic equipment, precision instruments, mechanical devices and many more. Determine the cause of failures and correct design flaws.
- Assist course instructors in setting up chemical engineering lab requirements.
- Design and prepare for work by creating sketches. Often plans are conceptual and not drawn out.
- Provide technical support to senior design students on project design, build and start up.
Occasional work into evenings to accommodate undergraduate teaching laboratory classes.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Technology with approximately five years’ related experience (or equivalent combination of training and experience) is required. Aptitude for operation of various equipment and instruments, machining and welding experience required. Knowledge of instrumentation and using data acquisition systems would be considered an asset. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required. Experience working in an academic environment considered an asset.
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.
Bargaining unit employees for NSGEU local 77 are given first consideration and will be notified regarding the status of their application. All other applicants will be considered when there is no qualified internal candidate.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.